Thursday, August 04, 2005

Real People

I once went to a church where when you came on Sundays, you had to look your best. And all the people left all their problems at home. Problems were not allowed at church. We couldn't have the other families thinking that we didn't have it all together, right? I worked for a while with the youth group there, and will never forget when a 14 year old told me "you don't bring your problems to church!" His parents had taught him well - carefully paste on that Sunday smile, along with wearing your Sunday best, and off you go to church!

I have to be honest, I was floored when to hear a child speak that reality. Because somehow, I missed the memo. To be certain, my life circumstances were such that much of my spiritual formation took place in the quiet of my own home. My teen years were spent with much time alone with God, and in the Word of God, because I had no community to speak of. Circumstances prevented me from having a strong spiritual community at that time. So my spiritual development was very much a relational one. When I was hurting, I went to God, for he was all I had. When I read the Bible, I was trying to know God - to know who he is, what his character is like... I was trying to have a relationship with him.

And the funny thing is, I actually believed that the stuff in the Bible was true - that God actually wants me to be a real person. I actually believed that when God said that "man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart," that he meant it. I actually believed that God was more concerned with my inner attitudes and sumbission to him, than my outward expressions of worship. I actually believed that I - and all other uniquely created human beings, am deeply loved by God. I believed it all - and I still do.

So I approach my walk with God as a journey - a journey where God knows the beginning and the end. He already knows the very terrible things that I think or I do. Yet he loves me still. I do not suffer the delusion that I have to fool him, myself, or others into thinking that I am perfect, or even good. I am able to approach this faith journey as a real, authentic person - vulnerable... with needs... not invincible... not perfect... human.

And that is what I beleive the church needs to embrace, in order to reach our communities, to reach our world. We need to embrace our own humanness & imperfections, let go of the polish, and be real. We need to be real people, with real problems. Because it's there that the reality of God comes through. It's there that his power is unleashed & people come to know HIM, instead of simply knowing about him. It's there, in our humanity, that God's strength is made perfect, and that his love is made real. It's by demonstrating love and grace and peace to our brothers & sisters - our imperfect brothers and sisters, that others will be drawn to the love that we share.

When I started working in a regular job, after being in ministry for several years, it was shocking to me how refreshing the office environment was. And it's not that the people were especially nice, or really cared that much about meeting my needs, or even getting to know me, necessarily. What was refreshing to me was the fact that my co-workers were authentic. If they were mad at me, they told me to my face. If they didn't like something, they complained about it. They were real with their thoughts and their feelings. They were real.

Is it any wonder that none of my coworkers would have been comfortable at my church?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i found your blog through real live preacher - was just randomly clicking on people's names and discovered you. thanks for some good thoughts :)