Tuesday, February 07, 2006

a foot in both worlds

my generation is a product of a strange mixture of the modern & postmodern cultures. as a result, i have adopted parts of both worlds. in addition, the world of law is primarily a modern world (at least until you start talking about policy). but the study of law tends to produce thinkers more comfortable with modern thinking than the postmodern.

this has affected me. but not quite enough, it seems. there's one area that i just cannot relearn to be modern about - a commitment to a future path. i cannot, to save my life, tell you what i want to do with my law degree. i can tell you, actually, about 50 things that i will want to do with it. i fully expect to have at least 10 different legal jobs.

and in every single interview (yep - had another one today), that is the one question i can't answer to anyone's satisfaction. i'm told i should just make something up - just choose one of the 50 things i want to do. but somehow that seems dishonest to me. so i somehow try to communicate that i have a huge worldview - lots that i would like to accomplish, but many different ways to get there. all of them seem almost equally acceptible to me. so i can't for the life of me tell the interviewers why their firm or agency is the place that i should be this summer.

i've actually had this same problem before. it was the very thing that got me in trouble with the infamous missions committee. so in this area, i am an inescapably post-modern thinker. i think i might just have to work for myself.

No comments: